双语美文推荐:假如我又回到童年

http://www.sina.com.cn 2007年11月09日 11:00   美国语伴口语互动网

  If I were a boy again, I would practice perseverance more often,

  假如我又回到了童年,我做事要更有毅力,

  and never give up a thing because it was or inconvenient.

  决不因为事情艰难或者麻烦而撒手不干,

  If we want light, we must conquer darkness.

  我们要光明,就得征服黑暗。

  Perseverance can sometimes equal genius in its results.

  毅力在效果上有时能同天才相比。

  “There are only two creatures,” syas a proverb, “who can surmount the pyramids—the eagle and the snail.”

  俗话说:“能登上金字塔的生物,只有两种——鹰和蜗牛。”

  If I were a boy again, I would school myself into a habit of attention;

  假如我又回到了童年,我就要养成专心致志的习惯;

  I would let nothing come between me and the subject in hand.

  有事在手,就决不让任何东西让我分心。

  I would remember that a good skater never tries to skate in two directions at once.

  我要牢记:优秀的滑冰手从不试图同时滑向两个不同的方向。

  The habit of attention becomes part of our life, if we begain early enough.

  如果及早养成这种专心致志的习惯,它将成为我们生命的一部分。

  I often hear grown up people say “ I could not fix my attention on the sermon or book,

  我常听成年人说:“虽然我希望能集中注意听牧师讲道或读书,

  although I wished to do so” , and the reason is, the habit was not formed in youth.

  但往往做不到。”而原因就是年轻时没有养成这种习惯。

  If I were to live my life over again, I would pay more attention to the cultivation of the memory.

  假如我现在能重新开始我的生命,我就要更注意记忆力的培养。

  I would strengthen that faculty by every possible means, and on every possible occasion.

  我要采取一切可能的办法,并且在一切可能的场合,增强记忆力。

  It takes a little hard work at first to remember things accurately;

  要正确无误地记住一些东西,在开始阶段的确要作出一番小小的努力;

  but memory soon helps itself, and gives very little trouble.

  但要不了多久,记忆力本身就会起作用,使记忆成为轻而易举的事,

  It only needs early cultivation to become a power.

  只需及早培养,记忆自会成为一种才能。

  If I were a boy again, I would cultivate courage.

  假如我又回到了童年,我就要培养勇气。

  “Nothing is so mild and gentle as courage, nothing so cruel and pitiless as cowardice,” syas a wise author.

  一位明智的作家曾说过:“世上没有东西比勇气更温文尔雅,也没有东西比懦怯更残酷无情。”

  We too often borrow trouble, and anticipate that may never appear.

  我们常常过多地自寻烦恼,杞人忧天。

  ”The fear of ill exceeds the ill we fear.”

  “怕祸害比祸害本身更可怕。”

  Dangers will arise in any career, but presence of mind will often conquer the worst of them.

  凡事都有危险,但镇定沉着往往能克服最严重的危险。

  Be prepared for any fate, and there is no harm to be freared.

  对一切祸福做好准备,那么就没有什么灾难可以害怕的了。

  If I were a boy again, I would look on the cheerful side.

  假如我又回到了童年,我就要事事乐观。

  Life is very much like a mirror: if you smile upon it, I smiles back upon you;

  生活犹如一面镜子:你朝它笑,它也朝你笑;

  but if you frown and look doubtful on it, you will get a similar look in return.

  如果你双眉紧锁,向它投以怀疑的目光,它也将还以你同样的目光。

  Inner sunshine warms not only the heart of the owner, but of all that come in contact with it.

  内心的欢乐不仅温暖了欢乐者自己的心,也温暖了所有与之接触者的心。

  “ who shuts love out ,in turn shall be shut out from love.”

  “谁拒爱于门外,也必将被爱拒诸门外。”

  If I were a boy again, I would school myself to say no more often.

  假如我又回到了童年,我就要养成经常说“不”字的习惯。

  I might write pages on the importance of learning very early in life to gain that point where a young boy can stand erect, and decline doing an unworthy act because it is unworthy.

  一个少年要能挺得起腰,拒绝做不应该做的事,就因为这事不值得做。我可以写上好几页谈谈早年培养这一点的重要性。

  If I were a boy again, I would demand of myself more courtesy towards my companions and friends,

  假如我又回到了童年,我就要要求自己对伙伴和朋友更加礼貌,

  and indeed towards strangers as well.

  而且对陌生人也应如此。

  The smallest courtesies along the rough roads of life are like the little birds that sing to us all winter long,

  在坎坷的生活道路上,最细小的礼貌犹如在漫长的冬天为我们歌唱的小鸟,

  and make that season of ice and snow more endurable.

  那歌声使冰天雪地的寒冬变得较易忍受。

  Finally, instead of trying hard to be happy, as if that were the sole purpose of life, I would , if I were a boy again, I would still try harder to make others happy.

  最后,假如我又回到了童年,我不会力图为自己谋幸福,好像这就是人生唯一的目的;与之相反,我要更努力为他人谋幸福。

发表评论 _COUNT_条
爱问(iAsk.com)
不支持Flash
·《对话城市》走进城市 ·城市发现之旅有奖活动 ·企业邮箱换新颜 ·邮箱大奖等你拿