人人说英语:地道表达乐观与悲观(2)

http://www.sina.com.cn   2010年12月15日 11:49   新浪教育

  25. 我心情很沉重。My heart is heavy。

  = I'm heavy-hearted。

  A: My teacher died of heart attack last night。

  我的老师昨晚死于心脏病发作。

  B: My heart is heavy on hearing this。

  听到这个消息我心情很沉重。

  26. 果不其然。That figures。

  A: He failed. 他失败了。 B: That figures. He is too proud。

  果不其然。他太骄傲了。 ● that figures“合理,讲得通”

  27. 我对此并不乐观。I’m not too happy about it。

  A: How’s your exam?

  你考得怎么样?

  B: I’m not too happy about it. 对此我不太乐观。

  28. 我该怎么办呢?Where do I go from here?

  A: I can’t think of any way out now. Where do I go from here?

  现在也想不出什么办法。我该怎么办呢?

  B: Don’t lose heart. Everything will be fine tomorrow。

  别灰心。明天一切都会好起来的。

  29. 我们无计可施了。We’ve had it。

  A: Did you finally persuade him?

  你们最后说服他了吗?

  B: No, we’ve had it。

  没有,我们无计可施了。

  ● have had it“完蛋了,没希望了”

  30. 我对此并不乐观。I’m not too optimistic about it。

  A: Do you think we can finish the work on time?

  你认为我们能按时完成任务吗?

  B: I’m not too optimistic about it。

  我对此并不乐观。

  ★optimistic [7Cpti5mistik] a. 乐观的

  31. 不可以,没希望了。No way. It’s hopeless。

  ○ I’m out of luck this time. 这次我没希望了。

  A: Everything will be OK. 一切都会好的。

  B: No way. It’s hopeless. 不可能,没希望了。

  32. 对我来说这简直是世界末日。It’s the end of the world for me。

  A: Today I’m told I’ve failed three courses. It’s the end of the world for me. 今天我被告知我有三科不及格。对我来说这简直是世界末日。

  B: Oh, that’s too bad. 哦,那可太糟糕了。

  33. 没那么好运气!No such luck!

  A: I believe you will succeed。

  我相信你会成功的。

  B: No such luck! 没那么好运气!

  34. 我的心情有些沉重。I’ve got a lot on my mind。

  A: I’ve got a lot on my mind. My best friend passed away yesterday。

  我的心情有些沉重。我最好的朋友昨天去世了。

  B: Oh, I’m very sorry to hear that. Take care of yourself。

  哦,听到这件事我很难过。你要好好保重。 ● on one's mind“使人担心,惦念”

  35. 事情已经过去了。It’s history. = It’s all over。

  这句话是用来安慰那些经历了悲痛或失意的人,以鼓励其忘记那段令人难过的 记忆。

  36. 我得说我相当悲观。 I have to say I’m rather pessimistic. A: I hear you want to study in Harvard. Do you see any possibility of getting your visa?

  听说你想去哈佛大学学习。你认为有可能拿到签证吗?

  B: I have to say I’m rather pessimistic。

  我得说我相当悲观。 possibility [7pCsi5biliti] n. 可能性

  37. 这不行。It can’t be done. A: Can you finish it in a week?

  你在一周之内能完成吗?

  B: I’m afraid it can’t be done. 恐怕这不行。

  38. 实在没有办法。That’s the way it goes. A: You can try another time。

  你可以再试一次。

  B: That’s the way it goes。

  实在没有办法。

  39. 这样干总比没结果好。Better than nothing。

  ○ Nothing ventured, nothing gained。

  不入虎穴,焉得虎子。

  venture [5ventFE] v. 冒险

  40. 除此之外我别无选择。I have no choice but to do so。

  ○ It’s my only choice. 这是我惟一的选择。

  ○ There’s no choice. 没有选择的余地。

  but在这里表示“除了”的意思。

  41. 我的心都碎了。I’m heartbroken. = My heart is broken。

  42. 我感到灰心丧气。I’m downhearted。

  A: I’m downhearted. 我感到灰心丧气。 Section

  B: Don’t worry. It will work out. 别担心。会好起来的。 05

  downhearted [aun5:ti] a. 垂头丧气的,闷闷不乐的

  43. 我提不起精神做任何事。I don’t feel like doing anything. = I don’t have enthusiasm for anything。

  44. 我们注定会失败 。We are doomed to lose the game。

  = We are doomed to fail。

  = We are bound to lose the game. ● be doomed to“注定”

  45. 我真是山穷水尽了。I’m on my last legs。

  A: God help me! I’m on my last legs. I lost all my money in gambling and my wife left me。

  我的天!我真是山穷水尽了。我赌博把钱输光了,老婆也离开了我。

  B: You deserve it!

  你活该!

  ● on one’s last legs“垂死,濒于垮台”

  46. 这是命中注定的。It’s fate。

  = It’s doomed。

  ○ It was my destiny. 这就是我的命。

  destiny n. 命运,定数

  47. 干嘛这么沮丧呢?Why are you feeling so depressed? A: Why are you feeling so depressed, David?

  大卫,干嘛这么沮丧呢?

  B: I’ve just parted with my girlfriend。

  我刚刚和女朋友分手了。

  depressed a. 沮丧的,情绪低落的

  (来源:昂秀外语《人人说英语--从ABC到流畅口语》)

上一页 1 2 下一页

网友评论

登录名: 密码: 快速注册新用户

企业服务

不支持Flash

新浪简介About Sina广告服务联系我们招聘信息网站律师SINA English会员注册产品答疑┊Copyright © 1996-2010 SINA Corporation, All Rights Reserved

新浪公司 版权所有