http://www.sina.com.cn 2008年05月30日 13:10
My teacher held up a piece of broken glass and asked, “Who broke this window?” Thirty boys tried to think about not only what they had done, but also what our teacher may have ___1__. She ___2__ became angry, but she was this time.
“Oh,” I thought. I was the one who broke the window. It was caused by a __3___ throw of a baseball. If I ___4___ guilt, I would be in a lot of___5____. How would I be able to ___6____ a big window like that? I didn’t even get an allowance. “My father is going to be ___7____,” I thought. I didn’t want to raise my hand, but some ___8___ much stronger than I was ___9___it skyward. I told the truth. “I did it.” It was ____10____ enough to say what I had.
My teacher ___11___ a book from one of our library shelves and I had __12___ known my teacher to strike a student, but I ___13___ she was going to ____14___ me.
“I know how you like___15___,” she said as she stood looking down at my guilt-ridden face. “Here is that field guide about birds that you are ____16___ checking out. It is yours now. It’s time we got a(n) ___17___ one for the school anyway. You will not be punished as long as you remember that I am not rewarding you for your___18___ , I am rewarding you for your truthfulness.”
I couldn’t believe it! I wasn’t being punished and I was ___19___ my own bird field guide-the very one that I had been saving up money to buy.
All that remains of that day is my ___20__ and the lesson my teacher taught me. That lesson stays with me every day and it will echo forever.
1. A. worried about B. thought over
C. carried on D. found out
2. A. gradually B. seldom
C. quickly D. soon
3. A. naughty B. slow C. careful D. interesting
4. A. promised B. felt C. admitted D. realized
5. A. joy B. trouble C. surprise D. anger
6. A. look for B. clean up C. pay for D. set up
7. A. interested B. happy C. curious D. angry
8. A. force B. mind C. work D. wind
9. A. went B. bend C. drew D. pulled
10. A. funny B. hard C. vivid D. joyful
11. A. took down B. put back C. held up D. torn up
12. A. already B. only C. always D. never
13. A. decided B. feared C. hoped D. doubted
14. A. share with B. start with C. end up with D. fight with
15. A. birds B. friends C. classes D. games
16. A. rarely B. unwillingly C. constantly D. carelessly
17. A. expensive B. clean C. new D. exciting
18. A. honesty B. misdeed C. silence D. eagerness
19. A. borrowing B. writing C. missing D. getting
20. A. memory B. imagination C. strategy D. sorrow