不支持Flash

美国口语俚语:揭发丑闻

http://www.sina.com.cn 2009年02月15日 02:19   新浪教育

  美国口语俚语(18)

  1. screw someone over欺负某人

  After working in the office for ten years, Alice was fired for no apparent reason. How can they screw her over like that?

  爱丽斯工作了十年之后,无缘无故被炒鱿鱼。他们怎么可以这样欺负她呢?

  2. down to the wire等到最后一刻才开始做事

  Peter always waits until the last minute to do his work. I could never leave it down to the wire like that.

  彼得总是等到最后一刻才开始做事。我从不想他那样等到最后一刻才开始干。

  3. buck抗拒

  You can’t buck the system.

  你无法抗拒整个制度。

  4. blockhead笨蛋

  Arnold is a blockhead if I ever saw one.

  阿诺德是我见过的最笨的人。

  5. blow the lid off揭发(丑闻)

  That newspaper story blew the lid off the Senator’s illegal business deals.

  报纸的报道揭发了参议员的非法勾当。

  美国口语俚语(19)

  1. round up集合

  Round everybody up. It’s time for our business meeting.

  叫大家集合,开会时间到了。

  2. put someone up留宿某人

  I can put you up for a couple of days. My apartment is big enough for two people.

  你可以在我这里住几天。我的公寓可以住两个人。

  3. take care of business负责

  Who’s going to take care of business while I am away?

  我不在的时候谁负责?

  4. take out on拿…出气

  Don’t take your frustrations out on me.

  别把气出在我身上。

  5. hot stuff大人物

  He thinks he’s hot stuff. But everybody else thinks he’s a jerk.

  他自以为了不得,但其他人认为他是个傻瓜。

  美国口语俚语(20)

  1. nitty-gritty细节,基本情况

  Let’s get down to the nitty-gritty. I want to hear what happens next.

  让我们来认真了解详细的情况,我想知道后来发生了什么。

  2. no good很糟

  This typewriter is no good. Every time I use it, the ribbon falls out.

  这台打字机很糟。每次已用,色带就掉下来。

  3. have someone’s number清楚某人的底细,看穿某人

  She dare not do anything to me, I have her number.

  她不敢对我怎么样的,因为我对她的底细一清二楚。

  4. hot number新鲜、迷人的人或事务,尤物

  Tom thinks Sherry is a hot number.

  Tom认为Sherry是个尤物。

  5. off the hook逃脱,溜掉,不受罚

  I’ll let you off the hook this time, but don’t do that again.

  这次不罚你,下次不要这样干了。

上一页 1 2 3 4 5 6 下一页
发表评论 _COUNT_条
爱问(iAsk.com)
不支持Flash
·改革30年30城市变与迁 ·新浪《对话城市》 ·诚招合作伙伴 ·新企邮上线更优惠
不支持Flash
不支持Flash