首页 新闻 体育 娱乐 游戏 邮箱 搜索 短信 聊天 天气 答疑 导航


新浪首页 > 新浪教育 > 《魔法英语》课文译注 > 第三十八课:在商店里

第三十八课:在商店里
http://www.sina.com.cn 2003/10/17 13:37  新浪教育

 

 课文翻译

  2Reading comprehension阅读理解………………

  This dialogue has been written from a short story by Mark Twain, the American

  下面这篇对话是根据美国作家马克·吐温

  writer who lived from 1835 to 1910. Some of the language and expressions are

  (1835~1910)的一篇短篇故事而改写的。有些语言和表达法

  a little different from modern English.

  同现代英语略有不同。

  The dialogue takes place at a tailor's shop.

  谈话发生在一家服装店里。

  (M=Manager; SA=Shop assistant; C=Customer)

 

 AT THE TAILOR's SHOP

 

 在服装店里

  M:There's a customer, Tod. Will you serve him?

  经理:托德,顾客来了,你去照应一下好吗?

  SA:I don't know why he's in a tailor's shop. Just look at his clothes!

  店员:真不懂他为什么进服装店,瞧他那身打扮!

  M:No matter what he's wearing, Tod, just show him the cheapest.

  经理:托德,别管他的穿着了,给他最便宜的看看就行了。

  SA:Do you want anything?

  店员:你要什么吗?

  C:Yes, please. I want to buy a suit.

  顾客:是的。我要买一套衣服。

  SA:Of course. You may find these rather expensive. Weve got some cheaper

  当然可以。不过这些衣服你可能觉得相当贵。后面房间里有一些

  ones in the back room. Will you come through to the back, please? ...

  比较便宜的。请跟我到后面去。……

  Why don't you try this one on?

  你何不试试这套呢?

  C:Mmm,it doesn't seem to fit very well.

  顾客:嗯,这套看来不大合身。

  SA:I'm afraid it's the cheapest one weve got.

  店员:恐怕这一套算是我们这里最便宜的了。

  C:Very well, Ill take it. Could you wait a few days for the money? I don't

  顾客:好吧,我就买这套。钱你能不能稍等几天?我身边没

  have any small notes on me.

  有小钞票。

  SA:Oh,you haven't? Well, of course, I know that gentlemen like you carry

  店员:哦,你没有小钞票?当然喽,我知道像你这样的先生

  only large notes.

  是只带大票子的。

  C:My friend, you shouldn't judge strangers always by the clothes they

  顾客:朋友,对于陌生人,你不应该老是凭人家的衣着来判断人。

  wear. I'm quite able to pay for this suit. I just didn't wish to put you

  这套衣服我是完全能够买得起的,只不过我不想麻烦你破开

  to the trouble of changing a large note.

  一张大票子罢了。

  SA:Why do you think we can't change your note? Of course we can.

  店员:为什么你认为我们破不开你的票子呢?我们当然能破开。

  C:Oh, very well. Then there is nothing to worry about. I apologize.

  顾客:哦,那太好了,没什么可犯愁的了。我向你道歉。

  (Hands him the note.)

  (把钞票递给他)。

  SA:Just a moment and Ill get you your change.(Looks at the note.)Goodness me!

  店员:请等一下,我就给你找钱。(看了看钞票)哦,我的天哪!

  M:Is anything the matter?

  经理:怎么回事呀?

  C:There isn't any trouble. I'm just waiting for my change.

  顾客:没事儿。我只是等着找钱。

  M:Come, come. Get him his change, Tod.

  顾客:得了,得了,给他找钱吧,托德。

  SA:Get him his change! It's easy to say, sir; but look at the bill yourself.

  店员:给他找钱!先生,说得倒轻巧,你自己来看看这张票子吧。

  M:Goodness me! Six zeros! Ive never seen anything like this before.(Gets

  经理:天哪!带六个零的大钞!我还从来没有见过这样的大钞票。(突

  very excited.) To sell such a suit as that to a millionaire! Tod's a fool.

  然变得激动起来。)竟然把这样一套衣服卖给一位百万富翁!托德

  Ah, here's the thing I'm after. Please get those things off, sir, and

  真是个笨蛋。啊,这才是我要找的东西。请把您身上那些东西脱

  throw them /into/ the fire. Do me the favor to put on this shirt, and this

  下来吧,先生,把它们扔到火里去。请把这件衬衣穿上,还有这套

  suit. Ah, it's just the thing, the very thing! The trousers are all right;

  衣服。啊哈,正合适啦!合适极了!裤子也合身;

  now the jacket; aha, right again! Look at that now, sir! Perfect—the

  再穿上这件上衣!又很合适!您瞧瞧,先生,十全十美,

  whole thing!

  全都合适!

  C:Yes, they fit very well.

  顾客:不错,都很合身。

  M:Quite right, sir, quite right. But wait till you see what well make for

  经理:您说得很对,先生,您说得很对。不过,您等着,瞧瞧我们给您

  you to your own measure. You can trust us, sir. Let me measure you,

  定做出来的衣服是什么样子的吧。先生,您可以相信我们。

  sir, for some suits and some shirts too. ... Now, please have a look at

  先生,我来给您量一量套装的尺寸,还有衬衣……好,请您来看

  these materials. I think youll find them much better and much more

  看这些料子。我想您会认为这些料子好得多,合适得多。

  suitable.

  C:This material looks nice. And so does this one.

  顾客:这种料子看来不错,这个也很好。

  M:A very good choice, sir. You can depend on us, sir. They will be

  经理:先生,您真会挑选。先生,您可以信赖我们。这批衣服

  ready the day after tomorrow.

  后天就能做好。

  C:But we still have a problem. I can'tsgroupsthese clothes, unless you can

  顾客:不过我们还是有问题呀。如果你不能等一些时候或者破开这张票

  wait some time, or change this note.

  子,我就不能订做这些衣服。

  M:I can wait all my life, sir. Tod, you will send these things to the

  经理:先生,我可以等一辈子。托得,你把这些衣服送到这位

  gentleman's address. Put down the gentleman's address...

  先生的住处去。把这位先生的地址写下来……

  C:I'm changing my hotel. Ill drop in and leave the new address.

  顾客:我就要换一家旅馆了。我会顺便再来一趟,把新地址留下来的。

  M:Quite right, sir, quite right. One moment—Let me show you out,

  经理:您说得对,先生,您说得对。先生,请稍等一会儿——我送您出去。

  sir. Good day, sir, good day.

  再见,先生,再见。

第三十八课:在商店里

 

 重点·难点·考点及疑点注释

  1. take place发生

  The story took place many years ago.这个故事发生在很多年以前。

  辨析:take place多指按计划、安排举行的活动;happen偶然性较强;break out意为“爆发”,多指规模较大的事件,如战争,疾病,灾害,地震等。

  2. no matter

  加疑问词引导的从句意为“不管……,无论……”,相当于疑问词与ever构成的合成词引导的从句。

  No matter what you say, he will not believe you.

  Whatever you say, he will not believe you.

  不管你说什么,他都不会相信。

  3.through to直到

  This train goes through to Beijing.

  这辆火车直达北京。

  4. try on试穿

  He is trying on the shoes.他在试穿那双鞋子。

  ◆注意◆宾语是代词时,应放在try与on中间。

  5.judge...by/from作“根据/凭……判断”讲,该词组的现在分词和过去分词形式常用作状语。

  A man should be judged by his deeds, not his words.

  判断一个人应看他的行动,而不是看他的言语。

  Judging by his appearance, he must be over sixty.

  从外貌上看他一定有六十多岁了。

  6.put sb. to the trouble (of doing sth.)麻烦某人(做某事)

  I have to put you to the trouble of sending this letter for me.

  我只好麻烦你为我寄这封信。

  I hope weve not put you to any trouble.

  我希望我们没有给你添麻烦。

  7.be after追求;寻找

  What he is after is wealth.

  他追求的是财富。

  8.do sb. a favour帮某人一个忙

  do sb. a favor等于do a favor for sb.如具体到某事时,须把a改为the。表示请人帮忙干某事时,则在此结构后面加不定式短语,即do sb. a favor to do sth.

  I won't forget the favor you did for me when I was in difficulty.

  我永远不会忘记在困难时你给我的帮助。

  Do me the favor to close the window.

  劳驾,请把窗子关上。

  Would you do me the favor of carrying the case?

  请帮帮忙给我抬抬箱子好吗?

  9. to one's own measure照某人自己的尺寸

  It seems as if the shoes were made to her own measure.

  好像这双鞋子是给她定做的。

  10.show sb. out送某人出去

  After dinner, their boss showed us out of the door.

  饭后,他们的老板把我们送到大门外面。

  短语链接:show sb. in领某人进来;show sb. out领某人出去;show sb. /into/ the room领某人进房间;show sb. to the door把某人送到门口;show sb. around(round) a place领某人参观某处;show off炫耀




英语学习论坛】【评论】【 】【打印】【关闭
Annotation

新闻查询帮助



文化教育意见反馈留言板电话:010-62630930-5178 欢迎批评指正

新浪简介 | About Sina | 广告服务 | 招聘信息 | 网站律师 | SINA English | 会员注册 | 产品答疑

Copyright © 1996 - 2003 SINA Inc. All Rights Reserved

版权所有 新浪网
北京市通信公司提供网络带宽