|http://www.sina.com.cn 2004/10/20 09:33 英语辅导报|
* 三个臭皮匠，合成一个诸葛亮。Three cobblers with their wits combined would equal ChuKek Liang the mastermind, meaning that the masses have great creative power.
* 没良心的！狗咬吕洞宾，不识好人心。 You ungrateful thing! You are like the dog that bit Lu Tung-pin-you bite the hand that feed you. (or: Don't snap and snarl at me when I'm trying to do my best for you.)
* 三九的萝卜--冻(动)了心。A Mid-winter turnip (in the third period of nine days after the winter solstice), the heart is frozen, affected in heart.
* 周瑜打黄盖--一个愿打，一个愿挨。Skillfully given by a Chou Yu and gladly taken by a Huang Gai (notes: a fourteenth century novel based on events, which took place in the 3rd century AD. Chou Yu of the Kingdom of Wu had Huang Gai, another Wu general, cruelly beaten and then sent him to the enemy camp to in order to win the battle by deceiving the enemy. (有时这种译法在一定的语境中不太可取)
* 哑巴吃黄连--有苦说不出。He was like the dumb man eating the bitter herb-he had to suffer the bitterness of it in silence. (or, It is real grief, yet he finds it difficult to express.)
* 打破沙锅纹(问)到底。Breaking an earthenware pot-cracked to the bottom； interrogate thoroughly or get to the bottom of a matter.
* 小葱拌豆腐--一清二白。Small onions mixed with bean curd are very blue and very white. (or: The
onions are of an azure blue while the bean curd is white, which is used to refer to anything which is entirely lucid.)
* 擀面杖吹火--一窍不通。Try to blow up a fire through a rolling pin(stick)-it just doesn't work, which means he doesn't know the first thing about something at all.
* 狗拿耗子--多管闲事。a dog catching mice meddles in cat's business-to poke one's nose into other people's business.
*多年的古庙--老寺(老四)。an ancient temple-old monastery for Lao Si (No.4).
*他的心头如同十五个吊桶打水--七上八下。Fifteen buckets being hurriedly lowered into a well for water-eight going down while seven were coming up.
* 徐庶进曹营--一言不发。He holds his tongue to begin with.
* 正月十五贴门神--晚了半个月了。They were too late for a rescue.
* 一切都是外甥打灯笼，照旧(舅)。Things will be back to what they were before.
* 哑巴吃黄连--有苦说不出。unspoken bitterness； 也有It is real grief, yet he finds it difficult to express.
* 袖筒里的棒槌--直出直入。I speak frankly and to the point.
* 他的心头如同十五个吊桶打水--七上八下。His mind was in turmoil these days and he was quite unable to think straight.
* 骑驴看唱本--走着瞧。Let's wait and see.
* 头顶生疮，脚底流脓--坏透了。To be rotten from head to foot; be rotten to the core; to be bad in the extreme。
总之，就翻译成的句子结构而言，可以是短语(如：兔子的尾巴--长不了。The tail of a rabbit-cannot be long, won't last long.)，可以是名词加上分词短语(如：老虎吃天--无处下口。A tiger wanting to eat the sky-not knowing where to start.) 还可以是句子(如：小葱拌豆腐。The onions are of an azure blue while the bean curd is white, which is used to refer to anything which is entirely lucid.)。成句也好，不成句也罢，直译也好，直译加注也好，意译也罢，翻译时策略可以有所差异，但要根据语境去选择策略和句式。
(文/赵金东；英语辅导报 大学二年级版 04～05学年第4期； 版权归英语辅导报社所有，独家网络合作伙伴新浪教育，未经许可，不得以任何形式进行转载。)
|【英语学习论坛】【大 中 小】【打印】【关闭】|