http://www.sina.com.cn 2007年12月28日 11:17
Part IV: 实战训练
1. Last week I went to the theatre. I had a very good seat (1) the play was very interesting, (2) I did not enjoy it, (3) a young man and a young woman were sitting behind me (4) they were talking loudly.
2. The plane arrived. Some of the detectives were waiting inside the main building. Others were waiting on the airfield.
3. Two detectives were keeping guard at the door. Two others opened the parcel. To their surprise, the precious parcel was full of stone and sand!
4. He was eating. I asked him to lend me twenty pounds. To my surprise, he gave me the money immediately.
5. The Greenwood Boys will be staying for five days. As usual, the police will have a difficult time. They will be trying to keep order. It is always the same on these occasions.
6. I soon learnt it. He was English himself!
7. You are new to our street signs. This note is only a reminder.
8. My aunt, Jennifer, is an actress. She must be at least 35 years old. In spite of this, she often appears on the stage as a young girl.
9. I live near an airport. Airplanes are slowly driving me mad. Passing planes can be heard night and day.
10. Last summer, my daughter, Jane, put a piece of paper with her name and address on it into a bottle. She threw the it into the sea. She never dreamed of receiving a letter from a girl of her own age in Holland.
11. Letters will cost a little more. They will certainly travel faster.
12. He said that everyone was losing money those days. He started to complain about this wicked world. He was interrupted by a knock at the door.
13. I spoke English very carefully. I spoke very clearly. The porter could not understand me.
14. Another man wanted to fly to a lonely island in the Pacific. Captain Fawcett did not take him. The trip was too dangerous.
15. I like sitting by a small river. It cuts across the park near my home.
16. Some children were playing games on the bank. There were some people on the river. These people were rowing boats.
17. The children saw that the ball had struck the man in the boat. They all ran away.
18. The man realized what had happened. He laughed.
19. Frank retired. He had been the head of a very large business company. As a boy, he used to work in a small shop.
20. One Monday, there were fewer people in the shop than usual. The woman came in. It was easier for the detective to watch her.
21. The woman was arrested. The detective found out that the shop assistant was her daughter. The girl gave her mother a free dress once a week.
22. On arriving at the shore, the girl struggled up the cliff towards the light. She had seen the light.
23. He never expected the bicycle to be found. He heard the news. He was surprised. He was amused too. It was stolen 20 years ago. He was a boy of 15.
24. Roy used to drive a taxi. A short while ago, he became a bus driver. He has not regretted it. He is finding his new work far more exciting.
25. Roy saw one of them was carrying a bag. The bag was full of money. He acted quickly. He drove the bus straight at them.
26. The thieves’ car was badly damaged. It was easy to recognize. Shortly afterwards, the police stopped the car. Both men were arrested.
27. Almost immediately he began to complain about the weather. Even though it was still summer, it rained continually. It was bitterly cold.
28. (1) a plane from London arrived (2) Sydney airport, workers began (3) unload a number of wooden boxes (4) contained clothing. No one could account (5) the fact (6) one of the boxes was extremely heavy. It suddenly occurred (7) one of the workers (8) open (9) the box. He was astonished (10) what he found. A man was lying in the box (11) top of a pile (12) woolen goods. He was (13) surprised (14) being (15 discover) (16) he did not even try to run away. (17) he was arrested, the man admitted (18 hide) in the box (19) the plane (20 leave) London. He (21) had a long (22) uncomfortable trip, (23) he (24) been (25 confine) (26) the wooden box (27) over eighteen hours. The man was ordered (28) pay 3500 pounds (29) the cost (30) the trip. The normal price (31) a ticket is 2000 pounds.
29. Dentists always ask questions (1) it is impossible for you (2) answer. My dentist (3) just pulled out one of my teeth (4) (5) told me (6) rest (7) a while. I tried to say something, (8) my mouth was full of cotton wool. He knew I collected match boxes (9) asked me (10) my collection was growing. He then asked me (11) my brother was (12) (13) I liked my new job in London. (14) answer to these questions, I either nodded (15) made strange noises. (16), my tongue was busy (17 search) out the hole (18) the tooth (19) been. I suddenly felt very (20 worry), (21) could not say anything. (22) the dentist at last removed the cotton wool (23) my mouth, I was able to tell him (24) he (25) pulled out (26) wrong tooth.
30. Mrs. Sterling did not think (1) the risk she (2) taking (3) she (4 run) through a forest (5) two men. They (6) rushed up (7) her (8) she (9) having a picnic (10) the edge (11) a forest (12) her children (13) tried to steal her handbag. (14) the struggle, the strap (15 break) (16), with the bag (17) their possession, both men started (18 run) through the trees. Mrs. Sterling got (19) angry (20) she started (21) run (22) them. She was soon out (23) breath, (24) she continued (25) run (26) them. (27) she caught (28) with them, she saw (29) the two men (30) sat down (31) were going (32) the contents (33) the bag, (34) she ran straight (35) them. The two men got (36) a fright (37) they dropped the bag (38) ran away. The strap needed (39 mend), (40) they did not steal anything.