从头到脚:与身体各部位有关的美语俚语(2)

http://www.sina.com.cn 2009年12月17日 14:52   新浪教育

  Keep your ear to the ground! 听仔细了!

  I perked up my ears when I heard her mention my name. 我一听到她提我的名字就竖起了耳朵。

  She doesn’t read music at all. She plays everything by ear. 她不看乐谱,光凭记忆演奏。(play by ear也常常用于音乐之外,指“临时应付事态”,如:Maybe we can have dinner together next week. Let’s just play it by ear. 也许到下星期我们可以一块儿吃顿饭,到时候再说吧。)

  I think the boss is gonna be laying off those who aren’t working hard enough. I just put a bug in your ear. 我看老板会炒了那些工作不够卖力的,我只是先给你们透点口风。

  She talked my ear off for a whole hour. 她唠叨了整整一个小时,真烦!

  ELBOW 肘,肘部

  The stain will come off. It just takes some elbow grease. 污渍是可以洗掉的,不过要费点劲。

  We had to elbow our way through the crowd. 我们得从人群中挤过去。

  I can hardly move. Give me some elbow room. 我差不多动不了了,给我让点地方吧。

  When I went to Hollywood, I rubbed elbows with all the movie stars. 我去好莱坞时,和所有这些电影明星都有过接触。

  EYE 眼睛

  an eye for an eye 以眼还眼,以牙还牙

  She has such bedroom eyes. 她有一双性感的眼睛。

  She’s a real eye-catcher. 她非常引人注目。

  She has an eye for art. 她对艺术很有鉴赏力。

  When I first met her, she eyed me up and down. 我第一次见到她时,被她上下打量了一番。

  That sculpture is an eyesore. 那座雕塑不好看。

  I guess my eyes are bigger than my stomach. 我觉得饭菜点得太多了,我是眼馋肚饱呀。

  Hey, four-eyes! 嘿,四眼!(这是个贬称,说出去当心听话的人把你变成熊猫眼)

  I’d give my eyetooth to look like her. 我愿意不惜一切地模仿她。

  Where did you get that black eye? 你在哪儿被打得鼻青脸肿的?

  I hate talking with her because she keeps making goo-goo eyes at me! 我不喜欢和她说话,死女人老对我抛媚眼!

  That’s green-eyed monster talking. 那是处于妒忌才说的话。

  “She told me she speaks ten languages。” “In a pig’s eye!” “她告诉我她会说十种语言。”“吹牛!”

  I have to stay here and keep an eye on my little sister. 我得留在这儿照看小妹。

  We always see eye to eye. 我们总是看法一致。

  I think I need to get some shuteye. 我想我得合一会儿眼了

  FINGER 手指

  There’s a lot of finger-pointing throughout this case. 这件事上大家总是互相指责。

  She never lifts a finger. 她从来都懒得抬一抬手指。

  I think you just put your finger on it. 我想,你终于发现事情的真相了。

  When he drove past me, he gave me the finger. 他开车从我身边经过时,朝我做了个下流动作。

  He’ll do anything I want. I have him wrapped around my little finger. 我要他做什么,他就做什么,全听我的摆布。

  FOOT 脚,足

  After she lost her job, it took her a while to get back on her feet. 失业后, 她过了一段才振作起来。

  Just when I was about to ask him for a raise, I got cold feet. 就在准备向他提出加薪的那一刻,我突然胆怯了。

  Now that she’s divorced, she’s footloose. 既然离婚了,她也就自由了。

  We don’t have to pay anything. He said he would foot the entire bill. 我们不必付账,他说全由他埋单。

  She kept playing footsie with him under the table. 她一直和他在桌下偷偷碰脚调情。

  You didn’t get the job yet, but at least it’s a foot in the door. 虽然没得到那份工作,但至少你已经迈出了第一步。

  I don’t know what my job entails. I’m still getting my feet wet. 我不太清楚自己的职责范围,我还在逐步熟悉的阶段。

  The movie starts in five minutes! We’d better hotfoot it over to the theater. 电影还有五分钟就要开场了!我们最好快点去影院!(此短语出现于二十世纪早期,现在偶尔也会用在玩笑中。你可以想象出某人因为走得太快而脚板发烫的情形。)

网友评论

登录名: 密码: 快速注册新用户
发表评论 _COUNT_条
爱问(iAsk.com)
不支持Flash